The English Department believes in a foundation of best practices that addresses content, teaching, and assessment. We believe
- Every student can be a literate adult.
- Students will take ownership of developing their literacy skills.
- Highly effective modeling is essential for student success.
- The collection, analysis, and sharing of relevant data will be used to guide instruction.
- Classroom instruction will be aligned with the TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills) as well as district and campus expectations.
- A variety of research-based strategies and methods will be used by teachers to achieve instructional goals.
- Parents/guardians and the community must actively and authentically participate in the development of all students' literacy.
- Teaching has not occurred until the student has demonstrated progression of literacy.